Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Smoking

I’m feeling like doing a bit of philosophical rambling today. It all started with a coworker, who has been going on and on for a month about how she is finally going to quit smoking starting the weekend of April 4. She really seemed to be getting the word out and psyching herself up for it. I’ve been trying to encourage her as well.

Actually that brings up another rant. I’m surrounded by smokers at work and I have no problem with smokers as long as they are respectful enough to only smoke outside or other designated places where non-smokers don’t have to breathe their smoke. After all, most people seem to do something or other that is detrimental to their health (myself included) and smoking just happens to be theirs. I’m just really thankful I never got into it because I’ve heard how damn hard it is to quit. I don’t think smokers should be punished in any way for their habit but I certainly don’t think they should be rewarded either. Well it’s hard to ignore the fact that the smokers in the office are probably on break at least double the amount of time I am. They go out and smoke at least 5 times per day and they are gone for a good 15 minutes. I only get two 15 minute breaks per day. How is this fair?

Anyways, back to the coworker. Well she claims that she went all weekend without a smoke. Yesterday, she actually went out with the other smokers and watched them while she chewed her gum, which was a bad idea in my opinion. This morning, I ask how she’s doing and she said she had to give in last night because a cigarette sounded so good with her beer. A whopping 2 and a half days! Now she says she is going to smoke the rest of the week and start again this weekend. Sure…

Yet I can’t really blame her. It’s just like any other habit in life that is so damn hard to quit. And one little misstep and you figure you might as well jump off the wagon for a while and start again someday. It’s ridiculous self-defeating perfectionist thinking that many of us just can’t seem to escape. Take diet for example. I’ll decide that I’m going to start eating really healthy tomorrow, meaning several small low-fat, high protein meals per day. But then I’ll be halfway through the day and find out someone brought a big tray of cookies to work. Since I’ve never been able to turn down free food, I’ll have to help myself and then I’ll say “Oh well, I’ve already had a cookie, the day is shot. Might as well get pizza for dinner and have some Ben and Jerry’s for dessert.” It’s so stupid because it wouldn’t have been that big of a deal if I’d just gone on eating healthy but I make it a big deal by blowing the rest of the day.

I wonder whether it is more difficult to quit smoking or to quit eating food that is bad for you (meaning food that tastes good)? Even though I’ve never smoked, I’m guessing that quitting the bad food is more difficult because you have to eat something and every time you eat your boneless skinless chicken breast and carrot sticks, you’ll be reminded of what you’re not eating—a big yummy bowl of mac and cheese or big juicy cheeseburger and a heaping plate of salty fries.

Like having a smoke, there also seems to be a big payoff in giving in and eating badly. They don’t call it comfort food for nothing. I notice that there is a distinct difference in the way I feel after a healthy meal or a bad meal. Unfortunately, there are drawbacks to the healthy meal as well as the obvious benefits. I have more energy for sure but it’s more restless energy than productive energy. I’ve noticed that it’s more difficult to concentrate and I’m just not as relaxed after a healthy meal. I’m guessing this is mostly withdrawals that a smoker would get after replacing a cigarette with a nicotine patch and it will pass after enough time. Unfortunately, food seems as much a part of a social life as conversation. If you think about it, every date, every party, every family get together, and every social work gathering always centers around food. The second question after anyone is invited to anything seems to be “What will we be eating?” At least someone trying to quit smoking doesn’t run into a platter of cigarettes and lighters everywhere they go and they won’t starve to death if they quit cold turkey. Just saying…

No comments:

Post a Comment